So a few things became official on Wednesday when it comes to Cleveland sports:
- The Indians have great starting pitching (actually, I think we already knew that).
- The Cavaliers are done with the regular season
- We know who the Browns are going to face in the 2018 preseason.
There's no question that the least important point there is the Browns, however it made for some great conversation on the Donovan Live Postgame Show.
The Browns will face the Giants, Bills, Eagles, and the Lions as the warmup games for the regular season. What interests me is that each game has a potentially compelling storyline:
- The Giants game could be a showcase of rookie QBs late depending on how the draft plays out. Think Darnold vs. Allen, or Allen vs. Rosen as examples.
- The Bills game will be Tyrod Taylor facing his former team. We'll also get a look at A.J. McCarron under center for Buffalo
- The Eagles are the defending Super Bowl champions and the game will be shown on national television.
- The Lions game rekindles the Great Lakes Classic "rivalry" that once featured the battle for a trophy in the shape of a barge.
In addition, we also found out that the Browns will have a new television announcing team for three of the preseason games as former ESPN host Jay Crawford will call the games alongside ex-Browns QB Tim Couch. Next door, Jim Donovan and Doug Dieken will be starting their 20th year together on the Browns Radio Network. Jimmy talked about his special relationship with "Diek" during the show.
The Cavaliers meanwhile will tip off the postseason this weekend against the Indiana Pacers. Unlike last year, the Cavs are going into the playoffs playing well (forget the loss to the Knicks and focus on the 11 wins over the last 13 games). LeBron James is healthy and playing some of the best basketball of his career. Tyronn Lue seems to be in good health running the team after his leave of absence as well. Jimmy and I talked about how the Cavs are shaping up for another long postseason run, and how the addition of Kendrick Perkins can be an asset both on and off the court.
Watch the Donovan Live Postgame Show in the player above.