As winter arrives in Northeast Ohio, Bedford Fire Department wants to remind homeowners to check or get their furnaces, fireplaces, and chimneys serviced to avoid fires or other safety concerns this holiday season.

On Sunday afternoon, Bedford Fire Department, along with Bedford Heights, Maple Heights, and Oakwood, all responded to reports of a house fire on Bexley Drive in Bedford.

"It was a good sized fire," Bedford Fire Department Lieutenant Brian Harting said.

The fire began in an attached garage, and extended into the main residential building where several people were inside.

Lt. Harting said everyone made it out of the home safely, but the cause of the fire is still under investigation.

While it's still unknown if a furnace or chimney issue is the cause of this fire, Lt. Harting says now is a good time to make sure your furnaces or chimney flues are serviced for the winter season.

It's also a good time to check smoke detectors and make sure the batteries are fresh, especially in bedroom areas.