The Cleveland Fire Chief tells WKYC that the fire started in a third-floor apartment at the Chelsea Manor Apartments at 11095 Lake Avenue about 2 p.m. Saturday.

The building consists of two wings with a courtyard in the middle.

The fire chief says the apartment's residents were not home at the time and other building residents smelled smoke and called 911. Fire crews had to force their way into the third-floor apartment.

The fire chief says all the residents got out safely but a dog and cat in the apartment that caught fire died in the fire. The American Red Cross will be assisting the residents whose apartments have heavy smoke and/or water damage.

No cause of the fire has been determined.

Chelsea Manor Apartments residents