Canton police believe a toddler just short of 2 years old died Wednesday night when the kitchen stove tipped over on top of him.

It happens more than you may think.

The investigation is ongoing, but it got us wondering -- is there a way to prevent this sort of thing from happening?

"It's tragic because it can be solved so easily," says Beth Grayson. Grayson and her family have been been selling ovens for generations at Home Appliance Sales and Service in Brunswick.

This mother and grandmother herself, isn't entirely surprised.

"Oh no! It's happened before and it's become more and more prevalent. In fact a lot of the new refrigerators are requiring it too," said Grayson.

Stoves have included mandatory anti tip brackets since 1991.

"The manufacturers obviously know there is a problem. That's why they include them. It's right there in the drawer. It's right on top of your owner’s manual," said Grayson.

Still the Consumer Product Safety Commission reports 38 people died from tipped stoves between 1980 and 2008.

Most of them were toddlers.

No word yet on if the stove that appeared to tip over on the Canton toddler had the no tip bracket, but,

"It's a simple installation. It’s a couple of screws and the range slides back onto it. It locks the foot in so it doesn't tip onto the child," explains Grayson.

If you don't want to install it, someone from Home Appliance will for about 30 bucks.

Some customers say they will install the bracket themselves. But how many do, when you consider how many say no to the retailer when it’s being installed.

"Most of the people. I would say 98%,” says Grayson and adds, "In retrospect if you have someone in a wheelchair and they reach in something could happen as well"

The way she sees it, "It's such a small expense for such a huge savings. You're losing a child's life over something that's so simple," says Grayson.