For the second time in less than two weeks, a Tuscarawas County resident has died after contracting bacterial meningitis, according to the county health department.

The resident was a staff member at Dundee Elementary School.

The school issued the following statement, Tuesday.

" It is with deep sadness that I inform you of the untimely death of a staff member at Dundee Elementary School due to a case of bacterial meningitis. During this difficult time, please join us in loving, supporting, and praying for the family. The entire Garaway community mourns this loss.

We have been in contact with the Tuscarawas County Health Department who conferred with the Ohio Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control for appropriate protocols in bacterial meningitis. Although, this occurred over break, we are following their guidance and taking extra measures.

County health officials have expressed no widespread concern as this appears to be an isolated case and unrelated to a previous case in the county. However, we want our families to be safe and informed of warning signs. Please, check the links below for health facts and precautions."

This follows an initial case from Dec. 15, when Indian Valley High School student Ryan Freeland passed away after contracting the illness. The health department has not released any additional information on the second victims, but says the two cases are not related, as both victims lived in different parts of the county and were apparently infected with different types of bacteria.

Several types of germs can cause meningitis, although most people do not get sick from them. Symptoms can include fever, chills, headache, stiff neck or back, and nausea and vomiting. The health department is reminding people to make sure they get the appropriate vaccines for meningitis.