KENT -- A man taken into custody following a shooting incident on the Kent State University campus Wednesday night has been identified.

Kent State identified the man as Quavaugntay L. Tyler, 24, of Cleveland. KSU says Tyler is a freshman at the university.

Tyler has been arrested on a felony charge of carrying a concealed weapon. He is currently being held and will be arraigned at 1:15 p.m. Friday.

He was originally scheduled for arraignment Thursday.

According to Eric Mansfield, KSU executive director of media relations, Tyler was caught off campus at approximately 11:30 p.m.

The arrest ended a university-wide lockdown that police say was implemented at around 8:30 p.m. after a shot was fired into the ground near Bowman Hall.

Students and staff were asked to shelter in place.

Police say Tyler shot himself in the hand after getting into a dispute with two women near Bowman Hall. University personnel described the incident as a "domestic situation" between Tyler and the two women. Tyler is described as having a relationship with both women. The women fled in a vehicle after the shot was fired.

Police say Tyler then took the weapon and ammunition in a backpack to a residence hall after the shot was fired and gave it to another female friend.

Tyler was taken into custody after seeking treatment for the gunshot wound to his hand at Robinson Memorial Hospital.

The gun--a 9 mm Ruger was recovered from the female acquaintance.

The Associated Press is reporting that police say Tyler was the subject of a campus theft investigation and was on probation from a separate theft case.

Sources say Tyler was involved in relationships with four women total. Besides the two women involved in the altercation and the third that police say helped hide the gun, a fourth woman is said to have driven him to Robinson Memorial Hospital.

Sources say all of the women involved are cooperating with police.

KSU President Lester Lefton at a mid-morning news conference praised the university's security plan.

"Everyone did what they were supposed to do. Everything went according to plan," said Lefton. "Safety is our number one priority."

The university is offering counseling to students following the incident.