INDIANAPOLIS — Two Indianapolis police stations were hit by gunfire this month, with the latest happening Thursday night, police said.

Indianapolis police are cracking down on drug dealers with multiple raids in recent months. That could be why someone has sprayed bullets at two different police stations this month.

Of there could be another vendetta against police afoot. Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Sgt. Kendale Adams said police don't yet know for certain why these police stations were targeted.

What's clear, police said, is that this person is dangerous.

"This person is extremely violent. It's someone that we need to be vigilant in trying to capture quickly," Police Chief Troy Riggs said early Friday morning at the department's North District headquarters, which was damaged in the shooting about 11 p.m. Thursday. No one was injured.

But later Friday morning, officers were back to work.

Police officers listened to instruction at the North District roll call Friday morning hours after a gunman repeatedly shot at the building, with at least one bullet piercing the interior.

Authorities believe the same person who fired a gun outside an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department headquarters last week, also was involved in Thursday night's shooting.

In the last six weeks, the department's narcotics teams have served a number of warrants to target drug trafficking. The Northwest District Narcotics team Saturday served a warrant that yielded three arrests, 65 grams of heroin and more than $3,000 seized.

Police also seized drugs and guns when serving similar warrants throughout September.

An unspecified number of shots were fired around the North District building, Officer Jim Gillespie, a department spokesman, said. At least one possible bullet made its way into the building, Riggs said. A car in the parking lot also was damaged. Two officers were inside the North District roll-call room when they heard the shots, Gillespie said.

After the shots stopped, the officers went outside to look for a suspect, but that person had fled, probably in a car.

The officers that were inside the building immediately went to work.

"They're back to work right now, on the streets," Riggs said, "and, as one officer just told me: brushed himself off, got his equipment, went back to work."

In the first shooting, shortly after 11 p.m. Oct. 4 at Northwest District headquarters, someone fired dozens of rounds at the station, near Interstate 65 and 38th Street. They damaged three police vehicles. There were no injuries.

At the Northwest District shooting, witnesses saw an SUV in the area at the time of the shooting, but Riggs said shortly after the first shooting that investigators didn't know whether the shots were fired from inside a vehicle or the shooter stepped out of the vehicle.

Riggs declined to say what kind of weapon was used in the first shooting. The sheer number of shots suggested the shooter might have fired an assault-style weapon or multiple semi-automatic handguns or had time to reload a single handgun.

After last week's shooting, Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett said violence toward police officers was intolerable.

"Indianapolis will not tolerate the reckless actions of any individual who directs violence toward our law enforcement officers," said Hogsett. "They will be found, and they will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Police have not released any suspect or vehicle descriptions for either shooting.

On Friday, Riggs asked for the community's help in locating the suspect.