Apartment fire starts across from fire station

11:24 AM, Jul 8, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

GARFIELD HEIGHTS -- Multiple departments responded to an apartment fire that started directly across from the city's fire station.

The fire destroyed an apartment on the top floor of the 3-story apartment building Saturday evening at 8:20 p.m.

Preliminary investigation shows that the tenants were cooking when grease on the stove started the blaze. A man in the apartment attempted to put out the fire using an extinguisher but was unsuccessful.

Another person ran across the street to a fire station to alert the crews of the situation.

Crews from the Illuminating Company also responded to the scene as power lines in the area were arcing.

The intersection of E 131st and Alvin Avenue were closed while crews battled the blaze.

Five families were affected by the fire. American Red Cross is responding to the scene to provide as much assistance as possible.

WKYC-TV

Most Watched Videos