LIVE VIDEO: Channel 3 News at 11 p.m.    Watch
 

University Hospitals warns against eating wild mushrooms

4:48 PM, Oct 5, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Sean Gallup/Getty Images

CLEVELAND --  University Hospitals is warning people not to forage for wild mushrooms because they may risk eating something deadly.

A dozen people are hospitalized after eating the deadly Amanita mushroom. It may have been growing with safe mushrooms but it looks so similar it may have been mistaken.

A family of five foraged wild mushrooms and ate them in a soup and three men from Avon Lake made chicken cacciatore with it and are currently in the medical intensive care unit.

The total number all year last year was seven and there hadn't been a case at UH for eight years prior.

Dr. Gholam says it's better to be safe than sorry and advises getting mushrooms from the grocery store.

Symptoms of toxic poisoning include severe cramping, nausea and severe diarrhea.

Within three days, the kidney and liver begin to fail and a liver transplant may be needed. Poison mushrooms on average kill one in five people.

WKYC-TV

Most Watched Videos