Akron: Woman saved from house fire by Good Samaritan

6:40 PM, Oct 9, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

AKRON -- An elderly Akron couple survived a house fire, thanks to the brave actions of a passing motorist.

John McKinney, 27, and his girlfriend were driving by the 22nd Street home looking to save money on gas but instead saved the life of Flossy Lamb, 85.

McKinney saw billowing smoke from the couple's home and Flossy's husband, Willy , struggling to get inside to reach his wife.

McKinney, pushed by Willy, kicked in the door and ran the gauntlet of fire and smoke to retrieve Flossy.

"It felt like hell. I couldn't breathe and felt the heat from the fire. All I could think is that woman was feeling much worse," McKinney said.

Firefighters say the blaze was sparked by a discarded lit cigarette left in the closed in front porch.

Family members were at the home Tuesday afternoon collecting what is salvagable. They are grateful McKinney stepped in to help.

"I just thank God I was at the right place at the right time. She would have died," McKinney said.

The Lambs are being released from Akron General Hospital. They were treated overnight for smoke inhalation. The home is unliveable. Firefighters estimate the damage at $50,000.

About 2:20 p.m. Monday, firefighters received a call to respond to a house fire at 2100 22nd Street. The fire dispatch center received several calls for this address, stating they saw flames shooting from the home.


Most Watched Videos