Newtown weighs fate of Conn. school where 26 died

10:37 PM, Jan 13, 2013   |    comments
Don Emmert, AFP/Getty Images
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

EWTOWN, Conn. -- Parents of Sandy Hook Elementary students are divided on whether their kids should return to the school building where a gunman slaughtered 20 first-graders and six adults last month.

Many of them made passionate arguments at an emotional public meeting Sunday.

Audrey Bart, who has two children who were at the school on the day of the shootings but weren't hurt, says the children shouldn't lose the school they love. But Stephanie Carson said she can't imagine ever sending her son back to the building.

The meeting at Newtown High School about the future of Sandy Hook drew about 200 people. A second meeting is set for Friday. Town officials also are planning private meetings with the victims' families to get their input.

Some Newtown residents want to see the school demolished and a memorial built on the property in honor of those killed in the massacre. Others say the school should be renovated and the areas where the killings occurred removed. That's what happened at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., after the 1999 mass shooting.

Most of the parents agreed that the Sandy Hook children and teachers should stay together.

The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos