CLEVELAND -- The American Red Cross has stepped in to help those left homeless after an apartment fire early Thursday.
Firefighters were called to a multi-use building on Rocky River Drive just after 7:30 a.m. The commercial building houses several apartments on the upper floor.
Firefighters say flames were shooting out of the windows when crews arrived.
The fire was centered in one of the four apartments. In the unit behind the one where the fire started, firefighters rescued a mother and her three children--including an infant.
A firefighter carried two of the little ones to safety. The mother brought the third out of the burning building. After being brought to safety, the mom thanked the firefighters for saving her life.
In the apartment next to the one on fire, two adults managed to escape on their own.
The apartment where the fire started was empty. The tenant had left just prior to the fire's start to take a child to school.
The fourth unit was unoccupied.
The cause of the fire is still being determined.
The fire department says the apartments all had working smoke detectors which allowed the residents to escape. They remind everyone to change their smoke detector batteries this week when they change their clocks to spring forward.