STRONGSVILLE - The Strongsville City Schools Board made a new offer to the teachers' union-- and then the union offered a counter-offer. But the district rejected the proposal abournd 3 a.m. Monday.
Teachers have been on strike against the district since March 4.
The BOE has stood by its last best offer during strike negotiations. But the district now says in a written release that "based on actual tax receipts, revenue projections have changed" and the board says it is using some of the additional $3.2 million to increase its offer to try and end the strike.
"The bottom line is that this is a proposal that our school district can afford and sustain," said Board President David Frazee in a release on the district's web site. "We have offered a proposal that provides the teachers with a half-step increase for each of two years or a one-time cash payment of $1,200 depending on their position," said Frazee.
A source from the teachers' side says that there is less than $1 million dollars separating the two sides.
The board says some of the additional funds will also be used to lessen the general education and pay-to-play fees.
So far no new negotiations are scheduled.
The SEA released the following written statement regarding the district's offer:
"Yesterday the Board finally admitted what the SEA has known for the last 6 months. They have $3.2 million more than they have claimed. When added to the $1.6 million saved since the strike began, the total is $4.8 million.
Last night the Board could have ended the strike and returned the teachers to their classrooms immediately. Unfortunately, $4.8 million isn't enough to convince the Board to put students ahead of their personal agendas."