The Cleveland Convention Center will be officially opened this afternoon with a ribbon-cutting.
The project was finished under budget and three months ahead of schedule.
The first event will be the Senior Games which begin on July 19.
The Cleveland Convention Center shares space with the companion Global Center for Health Innovation -previously known as the Medical Mart--which is scheduled to open in October.
Here's a look at the project by the numbers:
- $465 million: Total price tag for project
- 1,003,000 square feet: Total building size
- 14.6 acres: Total site area in downtown Cleveland
- 3300: Number of jobs created to build project
- 1000: Staffing jobs created so far
- 80: Number of events already booked
Cleveland Convention Center--767,000 square feet under Malls B and C including:
- 230,000 sf exhibit hall space
- 60,000 sf meeting room space
- 32,000 sf open Grand ballroom
Global Center for Health Innovation--235,000 square feet including:
- 100,000 sf: Permanent show room space
- 11,000 sf: Junior ballroom
- 2,000 sf: Retail space
What it took to build it:
- 64,500 cubic yards cast in place concrete
- 24,351,884.6 pounds total steel tonnage
- 1,431,000 pounds total ductwork
- 670 plumbing fixtures
- 233,653 bolts
Channel 3 is excited to be holding the Conventions Center's second big event, our Health and Wellness Expo on Saturday September 7th from 10am to 6pm. It is free and open to the public.
WKYC's mission in bringing this expo to Cleveland is to improve the health and wellness of our viewers and to give them hands on interactive ways to get health information and have fun. There will be free health screenings like blood pressure, cholesterol, glucose. There will be a Health Forum Pavilion with Monica Robins moderating discussions on trending medical topics, area chefs cooking up health food, plus fun interactive exhibits like a climbing rock wall, golf area and soccer field.
For more information, watch the video below.