Investigator: Cops on Castro's block 1,099 times

5:46 PM, Jun 17, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

CLEVELAND -- Police responded to Ariel Castro's block on Seymour Avenue about twice a week, on average, during the decade Castro is accused of holding three women and his young daughter hostage, according to call logs.

From the time Michelle Knight went missing in August 2002 until her discovery, along with Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Berry's daughter in May, police received 1,099 calls from people living on Seymour Avenue.

Thirty-five of those calls concerned the home directly next door to Castro, the logs show. Another 37 calls came from another house three doors down.

Police responded twice to calls at Castro's home. Cuyahoga County Sheriff's deputies also knocked on his door three times, trying to serve domestic violence papers.

Castro was not home during those visits. He has pleaded not guilty to a 329-count indictment charging him with aggravated murder of a fetus, rape, kidnapping and other crimes.

"We do have calls relative to domestic violence, smash-and-grabs for cars, thefts," said City Councilman Brian Cummins.

There were also a good number of calls for fights and shootings, the logs show.

Cleveland Police have fiercely defended their investigation of the missing women, saying they searched just about everything they could search, legally.

Police also say they never received any calls of anyone reporting suspect activity at Castro's home.

City utility workers also visited the Seymour Avenue block on numerous occasions.

Cleveland Public Power normally checks residential power use monthly, meaning employees would have visited Castro's home about 120 times over 10 years.

The Cleveland Division of Water reads meters every three months. That means they would have checked Castro's meter about 40 times.

Both of those readings can be done from the outside of the home.

But Channel 3 News has learned that a cable television worker went inside Castro's home within the last two years. A technician told the Investigator Tom Meyer that they had to switch out Castro's cable box.

Aurora Marti has lived on the street for 47 years.

"She doesn't blame the police for not finding out these women were there earlier because she feels there wasn't evidence or reason police would believe that he would have done this," said Cummins, interpreting for Marti, who speaks Spanish.


Most Watched Videos