WILLOUGHBY, Ohio -- While fighting an apartment fire, Willoughby firefighters rescued a cat who was giving birth to two kittens amid the chaos.
The fire was at an apartment building on Euclid Avenue, near Som Center Road around 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
While the fire itself was a small microwave fire that caught cabinets and part of the kitchen on fire, smoke spread throughout the apartment unit.
As firefighters were escorting residents out of the building, one of the two cats living in the apartment gave birth to two kittens, fire officials said.
The apartment residents and feline companions were not injured. Due to the damage, Red Cross is assisting them with housing arrangements.
All other apartment residents were allowed back into their homes.
The cat's owner told fire officials that the kittens will be put up for adoption.