Cory Monteith. Photo by Frazer Harrison, Getty Images.
Cory Monteith, who rose to fame as a jock-turned-geek heartthrob in the Fox hit Glee, died Saturday at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver. He was 31.
Monteith voluntarily admitted himself into a rehab facility in March for substance addiction. In late April, the star completed the program and checked out. His last public outing was with his girlfriend and Glee co-star, Lea Michele, June 8 at the Chrysalis Butterfly Ball.
PHOTOS | Remembering Cory Monteith
News of the star's death rocked Hollywood as stars reacted via Twitter:
• Ellen DeGeneres: "My heart breaks for the friends and family of Cory Monteith. What a loss."
• Nina Dobrev: "I'm gutted. Shocked and saddened to hear the news, my heart goes out to Cory's family and friends. Let's respect their space as they grieve."
• Kim Kardashian: "Just heard about the death of Cory Monteith. So sad. Prayers 4 his family. Praying 4 Lea too! Words can't describe what they must be feeling."
• Lance Bass: "Devastated about the news of Cory Monteith - such an incredible guy - my thoughts are with his family and friends."
• Katy Perry: "Rest in peace Cory. My heart goes out to his family and loved ones. Our prayers are with you."
• John Stamos: "We talked about how lucky he felt to be alive-and sober. We talked about playing drums. Glad i knew you Cory."
• Demi Lovato: "#RIPCoryMonteith... So unbelievably tragic. Please #prayforLea."
• Neil Patrick Harris: "How sad to read about Cory Monteith passing away. What a shame. He was a lovely, kind, talented guy and will be missed."
• Julianne Hough: "One of the kindest people I've ever met! My heart breaks for Cory's family and loved ones... You will be missed and forever loved Cory!"
• Dot-Marie Jones: "I have no words! My heart is broken."
• Josh Sussman: "I am so saddened to hear about Cory. He was such a great guy/Super-kind &warm."
• Harry Shum Jr: "At this time, please send nothing but love and light. This tragic news still doesn't seem real to me. I love you Cory."
• Zooey Deschanel: "What an absolutely tragic loss of a very talented young man."
• Rihanna: "Cory Monteith, may your spirit be at peace, and may you fly with the angels... Heartbreaking, my prayers are with all of his loved ones!"
• Sophia Bush: "I saw him a few weeks ago in NY, looking so happy. heartbreaking..."
• Adam Shankman: "Goodbye my amazing and beautiful friend. The lights in my world just grew dimmer. The world just lost one of our best. I love u so much..."
• Kristin Chenoweth: "RIP Cory Montieth. You will be loved. Always."
• Mario Lopez: "RIP Cory Montieth... Such a nice guy, very down to earth. Incredibly sad....#TooYoungToDie"
By Alia E. Dastagir, USA TODAY, Contributing: The Associated Press
Gannett / USA Today