Ariel Castro blamed porn addition during plea hearing

4:18 PM, Jul 26, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE WKYC APPS
 

Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, Michelle Knight found alive

Complete Coverage - Click Here

Crime & Punishment: Castro Sentenced

The Evidence: Prosecutor's Case Photos (PDF)

Survivor Speaks: “Your hell is only beginning”

Turning the Tables: Castro hears from survivors in court

Castro Speaks: “I’m not a monster”

Word Cloud: Castro’s statement

Read: Castro’s Statement

Inside the House: FBI says house became a cage

Photos: Castro evidence

Photos: See Amanda Berry and Gina DeJesus pictures

Photos: Gina DeJesus, Amanda Berry come home

Photos: Ariel Castro in court

Photos: Decade in isolation

The house: Photos show backyard at Castro’s house

The deal:  Castro’s plea agreement

Son speaks: Ariel Castro's son says dad's punishment fits

Enjoying freedom: Amanda Berry makes surprise public appearance

 Families approve deal: Families pleased with Castro plea deal

 Justice served: Prosecutor says Castro plea deal is justice

 Reign of terror ends: Ariel Castro pleads guilty

 House’s future: Castro home headed for wrecking ball?

 Viral Video: Amanda, Gina and Michelle release thank-you video

Judge denies request: Castro denied request to see Amanda Berry’s child

Look up: Judge orders Castro to open his eyes in court 

 

EARLIER STORIES:

 

Psychic responds: Sylvia Browne makes statement on Amanda Berry case

Officer’s story: Police recount finding Amanda, Gina, and Michelle

Investigator: How Castro spends his time behind bars

Investigator: Castro says he loves his daughter

911 Call: Help me I'm Amanda Berry

Dispatch tapes: "We found them!"

How to help: Charitable fund set up for missing girls

Police audio: Police audio reveals how officers found women

DeJesus homecoming: Gina gives a thumbs up

Amanda Berry homecoming: Family thanks community

Charles Ramsey: Neighbor tells how he helped rescue Amanda Berry

Charles Ramsey: Listen to 911 call that led to Amanda Berry rescue

Police: Amanda is the real hero here

 

 

 

Related Links
  • Ariel Castro's reign of terror ends with guilty plea
  • Castro defense team: Goal was to defeat the death penalty
  • Prosecutor on Castro deal: "In forever, come out in a box"
  • Slideshow | Ariel Castro in court
  • Survivors issue statement on Ariel Castro plea
  • Ariel Castro told a Cleveland judge Friday that he has a "sexual problem" and is "addicted to pornography" after accepting a plea deal on kidnapping, rape and murder charges that will keep him imprisoned for the rest of his life.

    In his most extensive public comments since his May 6 arrest, a contrite, soft-spoken Castro told Judge Michael Russo that his sexual problems and porn addiction "had really taken a toll on my mind." He did not elaborate what his sexual problems were, but said later he had been "victimized" as a child.

    The plea deal allows the former school bus driver to avoid the death penalty and spares the three women he kidnapped, tortured and physically abused for more than a decade from testifying against him.

    Castro, 53, faced a 977-count indictment for kidnapping Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight between 2002 and 2004. He also fathered a child with Berry, born on Christmas Day in 2006. The plea agreement consolidated the charges to 937.

    "I don't agree with the wording, but I will plead guilty,'' said Castro, who'll be back in court Aug. 1 for formal sentencing. He appeared alert and looked directly at the judge for much of the proceeding, a contrast to prior court appearances, when he spent much of the time averting eye contact.

    Castro, scheduled for an Aug. 5 trial, said he "pretty much knew the book was going to be thrown at him" following his arrest after Berry managed to escape his Seymour Avenue home.

    Knight had said that Castro impregnated her five times during his reign of terror, but the pregnancies terminated after Castro starved and beat her.

    Heavily shackled and wearing a bright orange jail jumpsuit and glasses, Castro, a native of Puerto Rico, also claimed he had been sexually abused as a child, but did not elaborate.

    He also said he understood he was giving up his rights under the plea deal, but said there were some things he did not "comprehend because of my sexual problems through the years."

    Jones Day, the law firm representing the victims, said they were relieved.

    "They are satisfied by this resolution to the case, and are looking forward to having these legal proceedings draw to a final close in the near future. They continue to desire their privacy. They do not wish to speak to the media or anyone else, and they thank people for continuing to respect their privacy as they grow stronger. They are immensely grateful for the support they have received from family, friends, and the donations to the Cleveland Courage Fund."

    As part of the plea agreement, Castro will turn his home over to the Cuyahoga County Land Bank. Prosecutor Tim McGinty said it would be demolished soon.

    Following the hearing, McGinty said the victims' had approved the plea deal. But McGinty also blasted Castro, calling him "a coward" and being in his own world.

    McGinty also discounted Castro's courtroom statements.

    "He's a thespian playing a contrite act,'' McGinty said.

    By: Gary Strauss/USA Today 

    WKYC-TV

    Most Watched Videos