CLEVELAND -- Willoughby-based K&D has finalized plans for the 350,000-square-foot East Ohio Building and the adjoining eight-story parking garage.
The 21-story curtain wall/glass and stone office building, originally built in 1959 to be the headquarters for the East Ohio Gas Company, has sat vacant since 2009, but is about to undergo an estimated $65 million historic renovation.
It will be converted into 223 one- and two-bedroom luxury apartments and 10,000 square feet of street-level retail, to be known as The Residences at 1717.
K&D also renoveated/built downtown projects such as The Residences at 668, The Residences at Hanna, and the newiy converted Reserve Square West Apartments.
Berardi + Partners of Columbus is the project architect and they have designed high-end finishes and luxury appointments to meet the demands of young professionals and empty nesters alike.
Units will feature granite countertops, stainless steel appliances and custom cabinetry, and will be wired for high-speed internet and cable television. The Residences at 1717 will also strive to be the most environmentally friendly and energy efficient apartments in the area, being the first all-LED lighted building in Downtown Cleveland, and utilizing heat pumps, ENERGY STAR appliances, and water saving low-flow fixtures throughout.
A state-of-the-art fitness center and a 550-car attached parking garage complement the other amenities, and discussions are currently underway with possible restaurants and services to occupy the first-floor retail spaces.
Construction is expected to begin immediately, and the first units should be ready for occupancy by July 2014, with completion scheduled in August 2015.