RILEY TOWNSHIP -- A five-car accident Tuesday morning on the Ohio Turnpike in Sandusky County has left a man dead and others injured.
Erwin Kuhns Jr., 51, of Middlefield was pronounced dead at the scene.
According to the Milan Post of the State Highway Patrol, two semis and a pickup truck were slowing in a one-lane construction area of the westbound lanes about 9:20 a.m.
Another semi was unable to slow in time and started a chain-reaction crash involving all four vehicles.
Another pickup truck then struck the back of the last semi. Kuhns was a front-seat passenger in that pickup truck.
One of the semis' fuel tanks were punctured, causing about 140 gallons of fuel to leak out. The leak was contained, according to the patrol.
Traffic was initially diverted to a single lane of the construction zone, and eventually westbound lanes were shut down entirely while a cement barricade was reset.
The turnpike reopened about 4 p.m.
Others involved in the crash were:
- Larry D. Evans, 53, of Slippery Rock, Pa., who was driving a 1999 International tractor-trailer. He was not injured.
- Walter S. Mozzochi, 46, of Homeworth, Ohio, who was driving a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. He was taken to Fremont Memorial Hospital.
- Larry M. Centra, 54, of Grampain, Pa., who was driving a 2012 Mack tractor-trailer. He was not injured.
- Angelo J. Muscarell III, 50, of York, Maine, who was driving a 2005 Freightliner tractor-trailer. He was treated by EMS at the scene.
- Paul C. Shoff Jr., 73, of Warren, who was driving a 2004 Ford F-150 extended cab. He was taken to Fremont Memorial Hospital.
- Albert C. Kurtz, 14, of Middlefield, a passenger in the Ford F-150. He was not injured.
- David E. Kuhns, 18, of Middlefield, a passenger in the Ford F-150. He was taken to Fremont Memorial Hospital.
The crash remains under investigation. The Highway Patrol believes everyone was wearing seat belts and does not suspect alcohol was a factor.
The Highway Patrol was assisted at the scene by Sandusky County EMS, Sandusky County Fire, the State Highway Patrol's Aviation Department, Ohio Turnpike Maintenance, the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, the Sandusky County coroner's office and Madison's Towing.