Nestle USA is recalling 238,000 cases of its Hot Pockets pastries because they may contain meat included in a massive recall of nearly 9 million pounds of "diseased and unsound" beef products.
Three different sizes of Philly Steak and Cheese Hot Pockets and Hot Pockets Croissant Crust Philly Steak and Cheese products in the two-pack box are part of the voluntary recall issued Friday but announced on Tuesday.
Officials with the Nestle Prepared Foods Division said that the firm used meat produced by Rancho Feeding Corp. in 2013. Last week, the Petaluma, Calif., plant recalled 8.7 million pounds of beef parts, including whole carcasses and heads, feet, livers and so-called "mountain oysters," among other items.
U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service officials said the meat was recalled because the firm processed "diseased and unsound animals" without benefit of full inspection. The plant voluntarily closed last week and FSIS officials are conducting an intensive investigation of its processes and products.
The Rancho products went to at least 974 vendors in California, as well as to a few outlets in Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, New Mexico, Oregon and Washington, USDA officials said. Walmart stores in Edgewater, Calif., and San Leandro, Calif., received some products, the agency indicated.
Nestle officials said they did not purchase meat directly from Rancho, but found that a company in the firm's supply chain had done so.
"From this review, we have confirmed that a small quantity of meat from Rancho was used at Nestle's Chatsworth, California production operation, a facility devoted entirely to Hot Pockets brand sandwiches," the firm said in a press release.
The recall is limited to those two products, which were distributed nationwide. USDA has said that no illnesses have been reported in connection with the Rancho Feeding Corp. recall.
Consumers can return the products or contact Nestle at 800-392-4057.
The USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service released the following list of impacted products:
The following Rancho Feeding Corporation products are subject to recall:
• "Beef Carcasses" (wholesale and custom sales only)
• 2 per box "Beef (Market) Heads" (retail only)
• 4-gallons per box "Beef Blood" (wholesale only)
• 20-lb. boxes of "Beef Oxtail"
• 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Cheeks"
• 30-lb. boxes of " Beef Lips"
• 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Omasum"
• 30-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripas"
• 30-lb. boxes of "Mountain Oysters"
• 30-lb. boxes of "Sweet Breads"
• 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Beef Liver"
• 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Beef Tripe"
• 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Beef Tongue"
• 30- and 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Cuts"
• 40-lb. boxes of "Veal Bones"
• 50-lb. boxes of "Beef Feet"
• 50-lb. boxes of "Beef Hearts"
• 60-lb. boxes of "Veal Trim"
Beef carcasses and boxes bear the establishment number "EST. 527" inside the USDA mark of inspection. Each box bears the case code number ending in "3" or "4." The products were produced Jan. 1, 2013 through Jan. 7, 2014 and shipped to distribution centers and retail establishments nationwide.