HARTFORD, Conn. -- A Connecticut woman disfigured in a 2009 chimpanzee attack says she's "heartbroken" a committee is recommending the General Assembly deny her request to sue the state for financial damages.
The Judiciary Committee voted 35-3 Wednesday in favor of upholding last year's decision by the state claims commissioner denying Charla Nash's request.
The full legislature still has the option of approving Nash's suit but it would be an uphill battle. Nash claimed state officials knew the chimp was dangerous and being kept without a permit.
Related story: Mauled Conn. chimp victim seeks OK to sue
Related story: New face of chimpanzee attack victim revealed
The commissioner and state Attorney General maintain the state did not have a duty to protect Nash.
Nash says she's devastated by the decision and only wants a chance to pay her medical bills and "live as normal of a life as possible."