EUCLID, Ohio -- A local girl is being called a hero after she saved her family from their burning home over the weekend. 8-year-old Mia Spence woke her mom up after she smelled smoke late Friday night.
The child sprung into action helping to save her 3-year-old sister, Olivia, and her 12-year-old sister Paige. Her mother, Amy Spence, says the home sustained a significant amount of damage. "Everything is ruined.They had to go all the way up to the attic with the hoses so if it isn't ruined by fire or smoke, everything is wet now," Amy told Channel 3's Hilary Golston.
Euclid Fire Officials say they got the call around 12:14 Saturday morning. They say they arrived at the Spence's house on Tracy Ave. in minutes. Authorities believe the fire might have started in the area of the dryer. There was heavy smoke, and high heat concentrated in the basement of the home.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in approximately 15 minutes, but stayed on scene to make sure the home was secure for another three hours.
According to the Euclid Fire Department, theSpence's house sustained $75,000 worth of damage. Another $25,000 of belongings were damaged or destroyed. Amy said the belongings were not covered under home owner's insurance so, the family is asking that donations be made on their GoFundMe page: http://www.gofundme.com/ckll18.
Follow WKYC's Hilary Golston on Twitter: @HilaryWKYC