SHAKER HEIGHTS -- Bond has been set at $65,000 for Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Lance Mason on a charge of felonious assault.
The charge stems from an alleged attack on his wife Saturday afternoon in which authorities say Mason, 46, punched his wife repeatedly.
The victim reportedly suffered serious injuries to her face.
Officers were alerted to the situation by a 911 call (listen to it at the bottom of this story) in which it was reported a vehicle was driving erratically in Shaker Heights. Investigators say it was inside the vehicle that Mason attacked his wife. Their children, ages 4 and 6, were present at the time of the alleged incident.
At some point his wife, Aisha Mason, apparently got out of the vehicle, and Lance Mason returned to his home in Cleveland, according to Shaker Heights Chief Prosecutor C. Randolph Keller.
At that time Cleveland police received a call from Lance Mason's sister that he was threatening suicide with a gun.
They responded and ere able to take him into custody without incident and confiscated multiple weapons and a large quantity of ammunition from his home (see below). He was then arrested by Shaker Heights police.
At his first hearing shortly before noon Monday, Judge K.J. Montgomery issued a full protection order that restricts Judge Mason from all contact with his wife and children until further notice.
Judge Montgomery also ordered a psychiatric evaluation to determine if Judge Mason poses a threat to himself.
He has no prior criminal record.
Lance Mason and his wife were living separately at the time of the incident.
A preliminary hearing has been set for Wednesday, Aug. 13 at 8:30 a.m.
Gregory Popovich, Cuyahoga Common Pleas Court administrator issued the following statement Monday afternoon:
The Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court is aware of the allegations against Judge Lance T. Mason. We cannot comment further at this time. Judge Mason's criminal and civil cases will continue as scheduled. All parties involved should be prepared to move forward as planned.
Cleveland police listed the following items taken from Lance Mason's home:
- FIOCCHI AMMO 80 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- FIOCCHI AMMO BOX 80 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- ACE 50 SHOTGUN SHELL BELT
- 25 UNK SHOTGUN SHELLS
- 10/2 POUCHES W/10 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- 3 BOXES OF 15 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- 2 BOXES SHOTGUN SHELLS (1 FEDERAL & 1 BRENNEKE)
- 1 BOX (PRIORITY MAIL)
- 104 LIVE ROUNDS OF REMINGTON S&W .40CAL
- 250 LIVE ROUNDS MAGTECH S&W .40CAL
- 1 BOX (45) FEDERAL AMMO SHOTGUN SLUGS
- 1 BOX (25) FEDERAL AMMO SHOTGUN SLUGS
- 92 LIVE RDS BLAZER BRASS (42) .357 MAG & .380(50)A
- 24 (2 BOXES) LIVE RDS POWERBALL S&W .40CAL
- 24 FEDERAL AMMO SHOTGUN SHELLS
- JAGUAR 4" BLADE
- 120 LIVE RDS MAGTECH .40CAL
- 1397 LIVE RDS 5.7 X 28 FNH USA 3 MAGAZINES
- 87 LIVE RDS UNK .380CAL
- 32 LIVE RDS REMINGTON .380CAL
- 180 (10 BOXES OF 18) LIVE RDS UNK BRAND
- CANVAS BAG CONT/3 EMPTY .380 CLIPS
- 45/LIVE RDS SHOTGUN 9 SHELLS & 36 .38SPL
- KDH BULLET PROOF VEST
- BAG W/EAR PHONES & SHOTGUN EXTENSION & SM HOLSTER
- HECKLER & KOCCH W/2 CLIPS 25 LIVE RDS
- SMITH & WESSON W/2 CLIPS 12 LIVE RDS
- SPRINGFIELD ARMORY .40CAL W/2 CLIPS 25 LIVE RDS
- JLD ENTERPRISES INC ASLT RIFLE PTR-91 W/SCOPE
- MASSBERGY SHOTGUN 12GA SHOTGUN
- WINCHESTER SHOTGUN
- FNH USA P90 ASLT RIFLE IN BOX W/CLIP& INSTRUCTION
- SABRE CANISTER OF PEPPER SPRAY
- 4 CANISTERS OF SMOKE GRENADES
- 2 CLIPS W/26 LIVE RDS
- FEDERAL AMMO BOX 125 SHOTGUN SHELLS
Listen to the 911 call: