MENTOR -- A family escaped without injury but their home was damaged after a fire Tuesday in Mentor.
Firefighters were called to 8315 Lakeshore Blvd. about 12:20 p.m. after a passer-by noticed smoke and fire coming from the home, called 911 and alerted the residents.
The Fire Department was able to suppress the fire, which it says appears to be accidental.
Damage is estimated at $30,000.
The home had working smoke detectors, but they did not activate because the fire was initially contained to the attic, according to firefighters.
The department's Fire Investigation Unit is investigating the fire.
Lakeshore Boulevard was temporarily closed at Hopkins Road while firefighters battled the fire because hose lines were stretched across the street to the nearest hydrant.