ELYRIA -- Neighbors called 911 after overhearing the screams of a badly burned woman on Bath St.
Shortly after 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, fire officials suspect a small explosion occurred in the rear of a 3-story house with multiple apartments in it.
Neighbors describe a woman who came out of the home and began screaming for help in the front yard. She appeared to have severe burns.
When fire crews arrived, they encountered heavy smoke and flames in the home.
Elyria Fire Captain Joe Pronesti confirmed that the injured woman was rushed to Elyria Memorial Hospital, and may have been life-flighted to MetroHealth Medical Center for further treatment.
Neighbors say that before the woman was taken, she said she lit a cigarette before everything blew up.
Crews from Columbia Gas of Ohio are on the scene inspecting gas equipment in the home.
Fire officials are unsure what started the fire, but they are still investigating.