Deaths of Richland County couple suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning

WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP - Two people found dead Wednesday morning at their 2551 Touby Road residence, the apparent victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, have been identified.

The victims were identified as Cody Keller, 29, and Megan Keller, 34, according to the Richland County Coroner's Office.

Bob Ball, an investigator for the coroner's office, said the husband and wife did not report to work Wednesday and the Richland County Sheriff's Office and Washington Township squad were called to the residence for a well-being check. Megan was the Safety Administrative Supervisor with the Wooster Police Department.

Officials found the two individuals deceased.

"There's still very, very strong readings in the house," Ball said. "It's very sad."

Family members stood on the front lawn hugging each other as the coroner, deputies and firefighters conducted their investigations.

The Wooster Police Department issued the following statement Wednesday afternoon:

"It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of our friend Megan Keller. Megan was the Safety Administrative Supervisor of the Wooster Police Department since 2012. She was hired in 2006 as a Clerical Specialist before being promoted to the Supervisory position. Megan was the evidence custodian of the Wooster Police Department and an integral part of the daily operations of the agency. She was a hard worker and always made sure things were done right. Her smile, laugh and thoughtfulness will be greatly missed by those who knew her best."

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when carbon monoxide builds up in a person's bloodstream. When too much carbon monoxide is in the air, the body replaces the oxygen in red blood cells with carbon monoxide. This can lead to serious tissue damage, or even death, according to Mayoclinic.com

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas produced by burning gas, wood, propane, charcoal or other fuel. Improperly ventilated appliances and engines, particularly in a tightly sealed or enclosed space, may allow carbon monoxide to accumulate to dangerous levels.

Their bodies will be sent for autopsies to the Montgomery County Medical Examiner's Office, Ball said.

© Gannett Co., Inc. 2017. All Rights Reserved


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment