Seven fire departments fought the blaze that was reported as a kitchen fire at 1:39 a.m., according to Fire Chief Briant Galgas.
The fire broke out at the Islander apartments on Sprague Road. Witnesses began rushing to get other sleeping residents out of their units. Some had to jump from windows to escape.
Two of those injured were taken to Southwest General Health Center and two were taken to MetroHealth Medical Center.
The American Red Cross set up a temporary shelter at a nearby recreation center and about nine families were being helped earlier in the day.
Debbie Chitester says the Red Cross met immediate needs of clothing, food, toiletries and found temporary housing for those who needed it.
Craig Light, an off-duty paramedic, lives in a neighboring building and helped fire fighters evacuate the residents.
"It was about people helping people," Light said.
He said it's nice to know the Red Cross was there, should he ever find himself in an emergency.
"They put people up, helped everyone out. It's nice to know that if something were to happen to me, I'd have that assistance," Light said.
Chitester says lately, the American Red Cross is responding to a fire a day. While they can't replace everything, the organization tries to help people get to the next step.
"Many people lost everything they had. They don't know where to begin, so we try to send them on the path and give them some direction," she said.