Are you insured for water damage?

STOW -- Many residents in Summit County are still cleaning up after Monday's downpour only to find out that they don't have enough insurance to cover their water damage.

In a matter of minutes, Connie Schlimm lost everything in the lower two levels of her home in Stow.

"I went into shock. All I could think about was that electrical box under water, so I got the dog and got out of the house," said Schlimm.

The water came up from her sump pump and rose seven feet to the basement ceiling, destroying her washer and dryer, furnace and everything else.

The pressure was so intense, the water burst through the wall, filling the next level up with another four feet of water.

It destroyed everything in Schlimm's office and all her furniture.

"I do a lot of home remodeling but this the worst I've seen," said Bill Thompson from Rent A Man Renovations.

Schlimm thought she had insurance but it was not enough to replace all she lost.

"Just don't assume things are covered. It's the worst thing you can do to assume you have coverage for water loss. Everyone's home situation is different," said Scott Keller from State Farm Insurance.

Keller says you can add extra coverage to your homeowner's insurance in case the sewer or drains back up.

For $50 a year you can get $10,000 to help replace permanently attached items like water heaters, walls and carpet.

For $130 a year that coverage jumps to $25,000 to also cover personal property like furniture and TVs.

Schlimm found out the hard way but still has a good attitude.

"I can make a bad situation worse with a different attitude, so I'm trying to think of it as my spring cleaning," laughed Schlimm.

To get official flood insurance you need to meet certain criteria.

You can work with your insurance agent, who can act as a broker, to obtain the insurance through FEMA.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment