Cuyahoga Falls | City still cleaning up after record-making storm

CUYAHOGA FALLS -- Flood victims with damage that is likely not covered by insurance are still figuring out where to turn.

Cities across Northeast Ohio are also compiling reports of personal and structural damage to apply for FEMA relief.

Betsy Booth has had a rough couple of days after heavy rain left her with a wet basement.

"It's been a nightmare," she said. "Lot of the things were in totes so they should have been safe, but when we have five feet of water, the totes didn't do it."

Instead hundreds of books from her career as a librarian are soaking. Booth says in nearly 30 years, she's never seen it like this: a wave that washed through her backyard.

"(Water) came down through these driveways, down to the stairwell," she said. "I was standing upstairs listening to this 'bang, bang, bang.' Thinking 'What is this?' and it was pounding on the door, and all the sudden that door burst open."

She was on the phone with a friend, asking, "What do I do? What do I do?"

It's a question she and many others are still asking now, those who don't have structural damage and aren't seeking emergency resources, like those of the Red Cross.

Her car insurance will cover a totaled car, but she isn't so sure about her home, which will need new HVAC system and washer and dryer to start.

In Cuyahoga Falls, you can file a damage report online HERE (mobile users:

Most other cities, including Stow and Monroe Falls, handle reports by phone through the mayor's office.

Those cities are working with the Summit County Emergency Management Agency to build an application to send to the state, and then on to FEMA.

Valerie DeRose, the director of Summit County EMA, says you can call 211 to be directed to other services, like options for replacing clothing, furniture and even appliances.

We experienced long wait times when calling Cuyahoga County's 211, but the info line in Summit County was open. You can also reach the service at (330) 376-6660, or toll-free at 1-888-212-5041.

You can also reach out to us at with a specific need, and we can help point you in the right direction.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment