The international hunt for objects in the southern Indian Ocean that may be from the missing Malaysia Airlines plane resumed Friday but so far nothing of significance has been located and Malaysia's transport minister warned that the search is likely to be for the "long haul."
The latest statement from the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said that Friday's search for Flight MH370 has concluded and that attempts to locate the plane and any survivors will resume Saturday.
Warren Truss, who is acting prime minister while Tony Abbott is in Papua New Guinea, told reporters that "nothing of particular significance" had been identified in Friday's search.
Truss told reporters that two Chinese aircraft are expected to arrive in Perth on Saturday to join the search, and two Japanese aircraft will be arriving Sunday. A small flotilla of ships coming to Australia from China was still several days away.
Earlier, the first plane sent Friday to fly over one of the remotest places on Earth returned empty-handed from its hunt. Another four planes sent to try to help solve the nearly 2-week-old aviation mystery by locating objects a satellite detected floating off the southwest coast of Australia about halfway to the desolate islands of the Antarctic also failed to make progress.
Speaking separately at a news conference in Papua New Guinea, Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott said, "We've been throwing everything we've got at that area to try to learn more about what this debris might be."
He said that the objects "could just be a container that's fallen off a ship — we just don't know."
Abbott spoke with Chinese President Xi Jinping, whom he described as "devastated."
Of the 239 passengers and crew on the missing flight, 154 were from China.
"It's about the most inaccessible spot that you could imagine on the face of the earth, but if there is anything down there we will find it. We owe it to the families of those people to do no less," Abbott said.
The area in the southern Indian Ocean is so remote is takes aircraft four hours to fly there and four hours back, and leaves them only about two hours to search.
Lisa Martin, spokeswoman for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, said weather conditions were getting better as the day wore on, with moderate seas and some cloud cover, and improving visibility.
The search was halted Thursday because of bad weather and nightfall.
In his daily news briefing, Malaysian Defense Minister Hishammuddin Hussein said he would be speaking to U.S. Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel later Friday "to request further specialist assets to help with the search and rescue efforts, including remotely operated vehicles for deep ocean salvage."
Authorities have described the objects as the most "credible" lead yet in the search for the missing Boeing 777 that vanished 14 days ago on a night flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.
They are also urged caution, saying there is no evidence to link the spotted debris to the jetliner.
Contributing: Associated Press