Madrid, Spain (Sports Network) - Rafael Nadal will miss the upcoming U.S. Open due to injury.
The reigning French Open champion was also forced to miss the Olympic Summer Games in London, where he was slated to carry the flag for Spain in the Opening Ceremony.
"Rafa has informed us that he will not be ready to compete at the U.S. Open this year and has withdrawn from the tournament," said U.S. Open tournament director David Brewer. "We hope to see him back on the court soon and look forward to his return to New York next year."
Despite his history of knee problems, this will mark the first time Nadal has missed the U.S. Open.
"I am very sad to announce that I am still not ready to play and have to withdraw from this year's U.S. Open in NYC," Nadal said. "I am sorry since I always found great crowds and great support, but I have to continue with my recuperation and preparation to be ready to play in the right conditions."
The 26-year-old Nadal, who captured the French Open for a record seventh time in June, was last year's U.S. Open runner-up to Novak Djokovic, who also beat the Spanish star in this year's Australian Open final.
The 11-time major titlist Nadal captured the U.S. Open two years ago to complete a career Grand Slam and had appeared in the last two finals in New York.
The 2012 U.S. Open will commence August 27 in Flushing Meadows.
The Sports Network