Bernie Kosar in court, guilty of reckless operation

BEDFORD -- Former Cleveland Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar was in Bedford Municipal Court this afternoon.

According to Bedford Municipal Court Clerk Tom Day, Kosar and his attorney were in court and he pleaded no contest to a reduced charge of reckless operation.

Day said Kosar, 50, was found guilty, was fined $750 and court costs for a total of $1,069.

He was also given a 10-day jail sentence, which was suspended.

The original charges of operating a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and speeding were dropped.

Kosar released a statement Monday afternoon after the sentencing:

"I am pleased with the court's decision that reaffirms that alcohol was not involved in my traffic citation from September in any way. I sincerely apologize to my fellow Clevelanders for the guilty charge of reckless operation, resulting from speeding in a construction zone."

" In the future, I will strive to be more cautious and careful. I do not fault law enforcement for making the original charges and mistaking my concussion related ailments for alcohol-induced impairments. I understand how slurred speech and physical limitations could be misinterpreted as intoxication."

"For the last 6 months, I have been advised by my legal counsel not to comment on this subject due to legal proceedings. However, it was disappointing that the report of the original charges were made national by ESPN within hours of the traffic stop. I would hope that those responsible for quickly leaking this sensitive and personally damaging information before all the facts were known would re-think their actions in the future."

At 3 a.m. Sept. 29, Kosar, the Browns quarterback from 1985 to 1993, was stopped by Solon police. According to court records and the Solon Police report, Kosar was on U.S. Route 422, just east of SOM Center Road, driving 74 mph in a 50 mph construction zone while workers were there.

The police officer reported a strong odor of alcohol. Solon police say an officer ran a series of field sobriety tests, which Kosar failed.

Kosar was then arrested and taken to the Solon Police Department with the intent to give him a Breathalyzer test. Police say Kosar refused to take the test.

Kosar posted bond and was released. He was the only person in the car. The next day, Kosar's attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment