CLEVELAND -- If you're a Ways 2 Save regular, you probably know by now I rarely feature refurbished products and I never feature used products.
There are some exceptions though where going refurb is the best way to go. These are the times when an item would otherwise be at a prohibitive cost and it's refurbished state brings you a new warranty and the fact the item has undergone testing by a human (not a robot), and is coming from a trusted manufacturer.
Daily deal sites (other than Cowboom and a few others) are generally a terrible place to buy a refurbished item. They offer weak warranties and have no invested interest inthe product. They're just trying to get it off their hands.
If you're going to buy a refurbished item, below is a list of the companies and the deals I trust based on past performance, tests and customer service.
Companies like Apple and Amazon restore used items to brand new, with new parts, screens, warranties and are a great way to go.
When it comes to laptops,here's an interesting blog that caught my eye about the perks of recertified laptops.
If you'd like to know more about when I'd buy refurb and when I'd stay away from it, please feel free to watch the video attached to this article.
I'll also be sending out deals on new products after the show via twitter. CLICK HERE
First, here are 10 things I would never buy used or refurbished:
• Couches (they are rarely properly cleaned and you have no idea what happened on them)
• Cell phones (how many times have you dropped your cell phone?)
• Tires (used cars are great from reliable sources, but specifically seeking out used tires is not a safe move)
• Vacuums (generally one of the most heavily used and expensive to repair items -- although there are some exceptions)
• Mattresses (I don't think this warrants an explanation)
• Bathing suits (despite prices at thrift stores, this is a definite "no" in my book)
• Cribs (many have been recalled and the germ factor is a serious deterrent)
• Bike helmets (anything that can save your life is something to avoid buying used)
• Kids' games and plastic toys
• Any major electronic piece without an extended warranty or that's not directly from a manufacturer or authorized reseller.
AND NOW FOR THE REAL DEALS:
1) Dell Financial Services
Coupon code: Offers20
Coupon code: NEW412
5) Apple Store
9) Sears Outlet
Now: From $239.97 to $1,007.93, depending on your location and what's available.
10) Sears Outlet
Now: From $319.98 to $900, depending on your location and what's available.
If there's a deal you want me to research or a question you have, I'd love to hear from you. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can watch for new savings tips each morning at 4:55 a.m., 5:45 a.m. and 6:53 a.m. on Channel 3 News Today, and always at WKYC.com.
We receive absolutely no financial compensation for mentioning any company, product, or deal. The purpose of this segment is to find great deals -- that's it.