LAKE COUNTY -- Lake County General Health District and the Action Communities for Health, Innovation, and EnVironmental ChangE (ACHIEVE) Wellness Lake County Initiative in conjunction with Master of Public Health candidate Paul Kasden performed a 2012 survey of Lake County convenience food stores to see how many offered healthy food options, such as fresh fruits and vegetables, skim milk, juice, whole wheat bread, high fiber cereal and snack items with reduced calories and/or fat.
The survey found that the following stores had the most freshfruit and vegetable choices:
- RediGo Food Mart, 161 Richmond Street, Painesville, Ohio 44077 (15 choices)
- Falcones Convenient Mart, 444 North State Street, Painesville, Ohio 44077 (13 choices)
- RediGo Food Mart, 426 Bacon Road, Painesville Township, Ohio 44077 (12 choices)
- RediGo Food Mart, 33 West Walnut Street, Painesville, Ohio 44077 (11 choices)
- Kirtland's Market, 8232 Chardon Road, Kirtland, Ohio 44024 (10 choices)
- Convenient Food Mart, 36201 Lakeshore Boulevard, Eastlake, Ohio 44095 (10 choices)
The 2011 Children's Food Environment State Indicator Report confirmed this fact.
A higher number of convenience stores were a factor that gave a state a lower score due to the fact that they are usually less likely to sell healthy food.
Lake County General Health District hopes to use the survey as a springboard to educate the convenience stores that did not offer as many healthy options so that they are also able to make healthy food accessible to their local patrons.
In addition, Lake County General Health District is encouraging everyone to view the new HBO documentary The Weight of the Nation starting May 14 and visit the website.
More information about Lake County General Health District's programming to fight obesity can be found at www.lcghd.org.