CLEVELAND --Cleveland firefighters evacuated the Hanna Building and shut off the power after a transformer malfunctioned in the electrical vault around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.
"A transformer in the electrical vault malfunctioned and began smoking. The smoke went right outside the building, so there is no damage except to the transformer itself and no one was injured," explained PlayhouseSquare Vice President of Facilities Tom Einhouse.
"Cleveland Public Power crews responded quickly and are servicing the damaged transformer. They plan to restore full power as soon as possible."
Tenants of the office building were able to return to their offices shortly before 3 p.m. to retrieve belongings and close operations for the day to allow building crews to make a thorough inspection of the building.
The three restaurant facilities in the building, Alex's Restaurant & Bar, Bricco and Starbucks, will be closed for the evening.
Guests attending performances at PlayhouseSquare this evening may wish to make alternate plans for dining.
Other restaurants in the PlayhouseSquare neighborhood include Cowell & Hubbard, Encore! at the Wyndham, Otto Moser's and Sammy's.
"We expect tenants to be able to return to work and the restaurants to be operating as usual tomorrow," said Einhouse.
All performances scheduled for PlayhouseSquare venues this evening will go on as planned: Bell, Book and Candle in the Allen Theatre and Potted Potter in the Ohio Theatre, both starting at 7:30 p.m.