Channel 3 News Anchor Kris Pickel was given a unique opportunity to go behind-the-scenes at the Greater Cleveland Aquarium, which included a dive in the shark tank.
But first she had to feed some hungry tortoises. It was all part of the Aquarist for a Dayprogram offered at the Aquarium.
The program is open to guests 12 and older, andincludes daily animal and exhibit checks, exhibit maintenance and food preparation.
As part of her experience, Kris made sure the 10 tortoises on display were fed their diet of fresh vegetables, including lettuce and carrots. Then it was off to the stingray tank where for a feast of chopped up fish.
Once feeding times were taken care of, it was time for theocean exhibit --home to eels, schools of fish and 18 sharks.
Kris was teamed with an Aquarium diver for the adventure of a lifetime -- swimming with sharks. While not everyone can swim with sharks, guests can still geta taste of daily life at the Aquarium.
Information about the Aquarist for a Day Program:
- Available Wednesday from 9am-1pm, 2pm-6pm, and Saturday from 9am-1pm
- Minimum age is 12 years old
- Cost $175 for GCA Pass Holders and $200 for Non-pass holder
- Guest will receive an Aquarist for a Day certificate
- Only one participant per reservation
- Must book reservation 7 days in advance
- Must complete a waiver and release of claims form
- Must complete an emergency contact form
To make a reservation call (216) 862-8803.