AKRON -- FirstEnergy says it has crews ready to go to repair any power outages that may arise from a coming winter storm.
The storm is expected to bring heavy snow as well as a wintry mix to Northeast Ohio.
FirstEnergy has activated a storm response plan including staffing additional dispatchers and making arrangements to bring in additional personnel as needed. Contractors are also being brought in to assist with storm efforts.
Customers without power should call 1-888-LIGHTSS (1-888-544-4877) or use the "report outage" link on the FirstEnergy website. Customers can also use FirstEnergy's texting service to report outages and to receive updates. Text REG to 54487 (LIGHTS) to start the process.
Downed lines should be reported immediately to utility companies or local police departments.
Here are some additional tips for customers to get through any power outages:
- Keep flashlights and extra batteries handy. Use care if using candles.
- Stock extra blankets or a sleeping bag for each person. Do not use gas stoves or kerosene heaters or another open-flame heat source to prevent the potential for CO poisoning.
- Those with wells should keep an emergency supply of water on hand or fill a bathtub.
- Stock up on convenience foods that do not require cooking.
- Keep a battery-powered radio on hand for updates.
- Have a hard-wired phone or a charged cell phone handy should you need it.