CLEVELAND -- In anticipation of a possible rain-snow mix tonight, the city of Cleveland has its snow removal fleet ready to be deployed if the weather presents itself.
City officials say there will be approximately 20-25 drivers on-duty overnight to respond if needed. The Division of Street Maintenance currently has over 20,000 tons of salt and approximately 21,000 gallons of liquid de-icer on hand.
As the winter season approaches, the city of Cleveland is encouraging residents and commuters to take certain precautionary measures to ensure their safety.
Below are tips from the Cleveland Department of Public Safety:
- Check your emergency supply kits -- do you have extra winter clothes, sufficient food and water, extra batteries, flashlights and a battery or hand-crank radio? What about medications, toys for the kids, pet food and copies of important information such as numbers for your local utilities?
- Gas up the car -- a full tank will keep the fuel line from freezing! It's a good idea to check your antifreeze and windshield washer fluid levels to be sure they are sufficient.
- Minimize your travel. If travel is necessary, keep an emergency kit in your car.
- Keep clear of any downed or low-hanging lines and report them immediately.
- Know how to shut off water valves to your home in case a pipe bursts and let the faucets drip a little during cold weather to avoid freezing.
- Keep some plastic sheeting, good tape, weather stripping and other items on hand to shore up drafty windows and doors, especially if a power outage leaves you without heat.
- The primary hazards to avoid when using alternate sources for electricity, heating or cooking are carbon monoxide poisoning, electric shock and fire. Be sure to follow instructions carefully and install and check carbon monoxide and smoke detectors in your home.
- Bring pets or companion animals inside during winter weather. Move other animals or livestock to sheltered areas with nonfrozen drinking water.
Updates will be available as the snow event progresses.
Many people choose to get snow tires.