The Crystal Towers apartment building in East Cleveland was evacuated earlier in the day after eight people were treated for carbon monoxide exposure
EAST CLEVELAND -- A body was found in an East Cleveland high rise that was evacuated Friday afternoon due to a carbon monoxide scare.
Barbara Kelley, 79, was found deceased in apartment 108.
Authorities aren't saying how Kelley died or if her death is related to multiple carbon monoxide leaks that forced the evacuation of the 278-unit Crystal Towers about 4 p.m. They also haven't said when Kelley's body was discovered or whether it was during the process of evacuating the building.
The building was evacuated after eight people were treated for carbon monoxide exposure. Residents were allowed to return to their apartments Friday evening.
The East Cleveland Fire Department says it was contacted by University Hospitals and asked to respond to the building, at 16000 Terrace Road.
The eight people include six adults and two children. The adults range in age from 30 to 76.
Six people were admitted to the hospital, and two are in critical condition. The two children, ages 3 and 12, are stable.
City officials said leaks were found at several locations in the building but wouldn't say what those were. They said the leaks were contained and the building aired out for several hours. They say the building is up to code.
The Red Cross helped provide shelter to those evacuated.
Other fire departments that assisted include Mayfield Heights, Euclid, Lyndhurst, University Heights, Beachwood, Cleveland, Highland Heights and Richmond Heights.
The high-rise management company said there are 278 units in the building, and all were evacuated.
Many people were taken to the Martin Luther King Civic Center on Shaw Avenue. RTA also took some of the residents to Helen S. Brown Senior Citizen Center at 16100 Euclid Ave. in Cleveland. Our crews were at the senior center when police informed residents they could return home.
East Cleveland mayor discusses building evacuation:
The Crystal Towers apartment building in East Cleveland was evacuated earlier in the day after eight people were treated for carbon monoxide exposure.