The purpose of the technical visits is for a small team of RNC staff and advisors to gather additional information about each city and their bid
The 2016 Republican National Convention officials say the 2016 Republican National Convention technical site visits will take place between April 16 -- April 30.
The purpose of the technical visits is for a small team of RNC staff and advisors to gather additional information about each city and their bid, prior to making a determination on which cities will receive official site visits from the full RNC delegation.
In early May, a report on these initial visits will be given to the RNC Site Selection Committee.
The Site Selection Committee will then vote, likely the following week, to determine which cities will receive official visits.
Official site visits from the entire RNC delegation will take place in late May through early June and will have an open press component. An updated timeline of convention related events/announcements is below.
"We've entered the next phase of the site selection process with all cities on an even playing field – there are no favorites, there are no underdogs," said RNC Site Selection Chair Enid Mickelsen. "The technical visits will help aid the committee in their decision making process as we narrow the field of cities in contention for the 2016 Republican National Convention," said RNC Site Selection Chair Enid Mickelsen.
- April 16-30th – Small team of RNC staff and advisors will conduct technical visits
- April 16th – Denver
- April 17th – Las Vegas
- April 24th – Dallas
- April 25th – Kansas City
- April 29th – Cincinnati
- April 30th – Cleveland
- May 6-10th – SSC meets at the RNC Spring Meeting in Memphis, TN to review reports from tech visits. The SCC meeting in Memphis will be closed press and no announcements will be made.
- Mid May – RNC SCC will vote to further narrow the field and determine which cities will receive official site visits from the full committee
- Late May / June – Full RNC Site Selection Committee and RNC delegation will make official city visits
- June/July/August – Further cuts are possible, initial negotiations with final city or cities to begin
- Late Summer/Fall – Final convention city will be voted on by full RNC governing body