Firefighters responded to 1321 E. 279th St. Apartment 102 Wednesday evening for a grease fire on a stovetop

1 4 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

EUCLID -- Firefighters are crediting a woman with saving her neighbors from a grease fire Wednesday.

The Euclid Fire Department posted to Facebook a message sent from Lt. Greg Ivanovics to Chief Christopher Haddock and Assistant Chief Will Anderson detailing the woman's efforts.

Firefighters responded to 1321 E. 279th St. Apartment 102 Wednesday evening for a grease fire on a stovetop.

While en route, firefighters learned that two people were trapped in the apartment -- one of which was wheelchair bound and the other an elderly woman on oxygen.

Firefighters arrived to find that both of the apartment's occupants had been evacuated by an upstairs neighbor, whose name firefighters withheld from their public post.

While one of the residents had managed to extinguish the fire, the entire apartment and first- and second-floor hallway were filled with smoke, firefighters noted.

From the post:

"I would like to recognize (name withheld for privacy) for her quick reaction and response to assist her lower-level neighbors. Had this grease fire not been extinguished, it may have extended and a life-threatening situation and rescue may have ensued. It is important that the members of this community pay attention to their surroundings and get to know the immediate and potential needs of their neighbors. She was aware of her neighbors' limitations and acted responsibly to ensure their safety. Good job."

"While the Euclid FD would never would encourage anyone to enter a smoke-filled environment without respiratory protection and training, this neighbor selflessly risked her life to save her neighbors. We would like to thank her for the bravery she exhibited tonight."

1 4 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wkyc.com/1gSub1U