SHAKER HEIGHTS, Ohio -- A Cuyahoga Common Pleas judge has found himself on the other side of the courtroom. Judge Lance Mason appeared in a Shaker Heights court - accused of punching his wife repeatedly.
Callers to 911 couldn't believe what they were seeing when they called for help from Ashby Road and Van Aken Boulevard in Shaker Heights.
ORIGINAL STORY: Local judge accused of attacking wife
"They stopped in the middle of traffic like it was like an accident, they stopped that hard, and I just seen fists flying in the car," said the first caller.
Witnesses had no idea that the people inside the car were Judge Lance Mason and his wife.
"And they're like swerving in and out of traffic and they almost hit three cars," said the second caller.
Cleveland Police later arrested Judge Mason at his home in Cleveland. He appeared in a video arraignment Monday morning, charged with felonious assault. Mason is accused of punching his wife repeatedly inside their car as they drove through Shaker Heights.
The judge set his bond at $65,000 and ordered a psychiatric evaluation to determine if Mason poses a threat to himself.
"I has an opportunity to speak with him and this is what I can share with you. He has no desire to hurt himself. No desire to hurt anyone in his family," said Shaker Heights Chief Prosecutor C. Randolph Keller.
Mason was an assistant Cuyahoga County prosecutor in the 1990s.
A few years later he was appointed to serve in the Ohio House, and then the Ohio Senate before Governor Ted Strickland appointed him to fill a vacancy on the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas.
Prosecutors say Mason is not getting any special treatment.
"Clearly this is an unusual situation from a professional responsibility and ethical point of view. The resolution of any conflicts will certainly have to be dealt with by Mr. McGinty's office," said Keller.
Here is list of weapons police found when they searched the judge's home:
- FIOCCHI AMMO 80 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- FIOCCHI AMMO BOX 80 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- ACE 50 SHOTGUN SHELL BELT
- 25 UNK SHOTGUN SHELLS
- 10/2 POUCHES W/10 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- 3 BOXES OF 15 SHOTGUN SHELLS
- 2 BOXES SHOTGUN SHELLS (1 FEDERAL & 1 BRENNEKE)
- 1 BOX (PRIORITY MAIL)
- 104 LIVE ROUNDS OF REMINGTON S&W .40CAL
- 250 LIVE ROUNDS MAGTECH S&W .40CAL
- 1 BOX (45) FEDERAL AMMO SHOTGUN SLUGS
- 1 BOX (25) FEDERAL AMMO SHOTGUN SLUGS
- 92 LIVE RDS BLAZER BRASS (42) .357 MAG & .380(50)A
- 24 (2 BOXES) LIVE RDS POWERBALL S&W .40CAL
- 24 FEDERAL AMMO SHOTGUN SHELLS
- JAGUAR 4" BLADE
- 120 LIVE RDS MAGTECH .40CAL
- 1397 LIVE RDS 5.7 X 28 FNH USA 3 MAGAZINES
- 87 LIVE RDS UNK .380CAL
- 32 LIVE RDS REMINGTON .380CAL
- 180 (10 BOXES OF 18) LIVE RDS UNK BRAND
- CANVAS BAG CONT/3 EMPTY .380 CLIPS
- 45/LIVE RDS SHOTGUN 9 SHELLS & 36 .38SPL
- KDH BULLET PROOF VEST
- BAG W/EAR PHONES & SHOTGUN EXTENSION & SM HOLSTER
- HECKLER & KOCCH W/2 CLIPS 25 LIVE RDS
- SMITH & WESSON W/2 CLIPS 12 LIVE RDS
- SPRINGFIELD ARMORY .40CAL W/2 CLIPS 25 LIVE RDS
- JLD ENTERPRISES INC ASLT RIFLE PTR-91 W/SCOPE
- MASSBERGY SHOTGUN 12GA SHOTGUN
- WINCHESTER SHOTGUN
- FNH USA P90 ASLT RIFLE IN BOX W/CLIP& INSTRUCTION
- SABRE CANISTER OF PEPPER SPRAY
- 4 CANISTERS OF SMOKE GRENADES
- 2 CLIPS W/26 LIVE RDS
- FEDERAL AMMO BOX 125 SHOTGUN SHELLS
Follow WKYC's Kristin Anderson on Twitter: @KristinWKYC