The Lorain County Coroner says Logan Stiner had toxic levels of caffeine in his body
LAGRANGE -- We now know what caused a Lorain County prom king to die back in May, right before graduation.
The Lorain County Coroner says Logan Stiner had toxic levels of caffeine in his body.
His death shocked the small community of LaGrange. It's still fresh in the minds of residents.
The Balka family is doing a little summer reading and talking about the caffeine overdose.
"I never thought it would hurt an 18-year-old child," said Lora Balka.
The Lorain County Coroner says Stiner died from an irregular heartbeat and seizures after ingesting caffeine powder.
It's found on the internet and is stronger than traditional forms of caffeine.
According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, an energy drink -- such as Jolt -- contains 280 milligrams of caffeine.
A Starbucks 12-ounce coffee? 260 milligrams.
The coroner says one teaspoon of powered caffeine can contain 1,600 milligrams.
Even the warning label suggests using a micro-scale to measure a safe amount.
Many people have never even heard of caffeine in this form.
"I didn't even know you could buy caffeine powders," said Jason Obrock.
Companies claim that it improves focus, increases endurance and elevates mood.
It's unclear why Stiner took the powder.
Many parents hope that his death will encourage others to stay safe.
"I hope they paid attention and they learn something from it," said Balka.