91 17 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

BEDFORD, Ohio -- The Ohio Attorney General's office has confirmed to WKYC that Bureau of Criminal Investigation agents executed a search warrant, along with Bedford police officers, at the Kenyon Drive home of City of Bedford Law Director Kenneth A. Schuman Friday morning.

WKYC has also confirmed that Schuman's law office on Transportation Boulevard in Garfield Heights was also searched.

Lorree Villers, the Clerk of Bedford City Council, confirmed to WKYC that some of the city's council members have been issued subpoenas. WKYC has heard from another source that only one council member has been subpoenaed.

Authorities would not confirm the nature of their search or what they were looking for.

Bedford City Manager Henry Angelo confirmed that his administrative assistant Michelle Hollo did receive a grand jury subpoena but declined to say what it regarded.

Schuman abruptly took a medical leave of absence from his Bedford law director's position in early November. Immediately following that, Schuman was put on leave by several communities where he serves as assistant prosecutor and/or assistant law director.

Schuman also worked for the cities of Maple Heights, Bedford Heights and Bentleyville in a similar capacity.

Bedford Heights Mayor Fletcher Berger confirmed to WKYC that the city is no longer employing Schuman, who had been a contract employee.

Berger told WKYC's Erin Kennedy that leaving the city's employ was a "mutual decision."

Maple Heights Mayor Jeffrey Lansky confirmed that Schuman "withdrew" from his job there, saying he would be taking a leave of absence. Lansky said it was "abrupt."

When asked about Schuman last week, Angelo responded, "Please be advised that Mr. Schuman has submitted (in writing) to Council a medical leave of absence request. He is under a doctor's care and, as such, his medical condition cannot be disclosed. At this time, the medical leave has not been determined to be indefinite or temporary….with regard to any investigations or the substance of those investigations, I would refer your questions to the Cuyahoga Prosecutor's office."

Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Tim McGinty's spokesman Joe Frolik told WKYC Friday afternoon that "we are not going to discuss any possible investigation."

This is the second medical leave taken by a Bedford official in the space of a week.

On Nov. 19, Bedford Municipal Court Judge Harry J. Jacob III, 57, of Solon, unexpectedly notified the court that he would be taking an indefinite medical leave of absence.

Regarding Jacob's Bedford Municipal Court leave, Court Clerk Tom Day was asked if investigators from the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's office had visited the court or served grand jury subpoenas at the court and/or removed files from Jacob's office.

Day replied "No comment."

(NOTE: Mayor Berger's comments above were previously incorrectly attributed to Bentleyville Mayor Leonard Spremulli.)

91 17 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wkyc.com/1bnW4iW