76 6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

An off-the-clock Mentor firefighter was at the right place at the right time, when he noticed smoke and quickly jumped into action Saturday, risking his own life to save another.

Battalion Chief Joe Busher says his instincts quickly kicked in Saturday when he spotted smoke in the distance while on his way to the mall.

"I saw the smoke first and then I rolled down my window and I'm like wow," said Busher. "It's just something that every fireman will tell you -- it smells like a structure fire."

A neighbor captured cell phone video of the blaze on Georgie Court, which shows large plumes of smoke and flames coming from the roof of the home. Upon arrival Busher says he immediately checked to see if anyone was inside.

"Banging on the glass and I finally got the attention of the son who had been sleeping," recalled Busher. After getting the young man out, Busher learned there had been a party at the home the night before.

With the young man unsure if anyone else was inside, Busher then went back into the burning home to do a full sweep.

"I was just in street clothes you know but it was the right thing to do you risk a lot to save a life," he said. "I was in the right place at the right time made the right decision and it worked out."

Mentor fire crews arrived on scene just minutes later and were able to quickly put the fire out.

The home suffered nearly $200,000 in damage and investigators say there were no working smoke detectors.

"The gentleman that was sleeping...this could have been a bad outcome," said Busher. "It (smoke detector) can and will save your life."

76 6 LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.wkyc.com/1gbjxSH