CLEVELAND -- It's being spread via social media, a game that's causing people serious injuries. It's called the 'fire challenge.'
In videos posted online, people douse themselves with rubbing alcohol and then light themselves on fire. In most cases, the stunt is performed in a shower so the flames can be quickly extinguished.
What people don't see online are the severe injuries people sustain from attempting the stunts. In Lexington, Kentucky a 15-year-old was severely burned. In Texas, another teen will wear bandages for months after injuries he sustained from taking the challenge.
THE 'FIRE CHALLENGE': Teen sets himself on fire for online 'challenge'
"Children are actually taking accelerants, alcohol, hand sanitizer, rubbing it all over their body, they're actually igniting it," said Cleveland Fire Dept spokesman Lt. Larry Gray. "There are no winners."
We worked with the Parma Fire Department to see how hot a fire with rubbing alcohol can be.
Temperatures reached over 600 degrees at times, enough to instantly burn skin.
"They're calling it the fire challenge and to me it's one of the dumbest things you can do," said Doug Turner with the Parma Fire Department.
Fire officials are hoping that by explaining the dangers and showing how hot the fire can get, people will be deterred from attempting the stunt.
Follow WKYC's Brandon Simmons on Twitter: @216Brandon