SHARE 34 3 2 COMMENTMORE

CHAGRIN FALLS -- The North Main Street garage and breezeway that went up in flames midday Tuesday was caused by a strange series of events.

The resident was trying to start his red 1993 Ford Ranger in the garage. Unfortunately, he had a couch stored in the garage directly behind the Ranger, nearly touching it. The truck backfired, setting the couch on fire.

After calling 911, the fire department, along with mutual aid from two other departments, arrived to find the garage well-involved in flames. The fire spread to the breezeway between the garage and the house.

Firefighters and the resident were lucky that there was a fire hydrant almost directly in front of the house. They were able to contain the fire and it did not reach the house itself.

Chagrin Falls Assistant Fire Chiefs Mark Vedder and Jim Leffler put the damage estimates at between $50,000 and $100,000, including the pickup truck.

Neither the residents nor any of the firefighters were injured.