COLD CASE: Convicted killer escaped, took new identity

Campbell would live a life on the run until he passed away from a massive heart attack in May 2004. 

On Jan. 17, 1958, Shirley Campbell made sexual advances toward a 19-year-old student nurse, Sylvesta Andy, who was also a patient at Hamilton Hospital near Cincinnati.

Campbell, who was employed as an orderly at the hospital, began sexually assaulting Ms. Andy during an elevator ride to the roof.

The assault spilled out onto the roof where Campbell fatally pushed Andy off the five-story building.

Loading ...

Campbell was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

In early 1972, Campbell was granted permission to work in the Chillicothe Institutional Work Farm at the Piggery.

On Dec. 28, 1972, Campbell fled the Piggery and a life behind bars.

Law enforcement officers combed the area looking for Campbell, but came up empty.

Campbell would live a life on the run until he passed away from a massive heart attack in May 2004.

The U.S. Marshals newly-created Cold Case Unit began working this fugitive investigation in April of 2015. Investigators were able to determine that shortly after his escape, Campbell fled to Los Angeles and obtained a new identity.

Shirley Edward Campbell became Edward Davis. Campbell preyed on the willingness of others to help and allegedly told others that he lost his wife and two daughters in a fire.

In order to conceal his identity, Campbell claimed he was adopted as a child. Campbell also falsely claimed to have served in the United States Army during the Vietnam War.

Campbell lived in California until mid-1980, when he moved to the Roswell, New Mexico area.

He married a woman from the area, earned a Bachelor of Science degree in sociology from Eastern New Mexico University and also attended graduate school.

Upon earning his degree, Campbell was hired by the state of New Mexico as an employment counselor. Campbell did all of this while using the fictitious name of Edward Davis.

This is the fourth decades-old escape case closed by the Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force’s Cold Case Unit since its inception.