Philadelphia Eagles upset New England Patriots, 41-33, in Super Bowl LII

The Philadelphia Eagles upset the New England Patriots, 41-33, in Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Sunday night.

Another Super Bowl featuring the New England Patriots and another fourth-quarter comeback, only this time, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles led the come-from-behind effort to finish off the upset of the defending champions.

Foles engineered a 14-play, 75-yard drive and finished it off with an 11-yard touchdown pass to tight end Zach Ertz over the middle of the field with 2:37 to play, and then, the defense forced New England’s only turnover of the game to help seal the 41-33 win in Super Bowl LII at U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Sunday night.

Loading ...

In what was the second-highest scoring Super Bowl in the 52-year history of the game, the Eagles hoisted the Lombardi Trophy for the first time ever.

Foles went from backing up starter Carson Wentz to being thrust into the spotlight when Wentz went down with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee on December 10. Then, Foles completed 28 of his 43 attempts for 373 yards and three touchdowns, including the game-winning score, against just one interception on the way to Super Bowl MVP honors.

On third-and-seven from New England’s 11-yard line, Foles took the shotgun snap and fired a pass to Ertz on the left side of the field. Ertz had separation from coverage and dove for the goal line with the ball.

Although the ball came loose after hitting the ground, Ertz regained possession as he rolled from his side to his back. A replay review upheld the touchdown call.

Then, on the ensuing drive, the Eagles dialed up enough pressure to not only get to Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, but also, force the ball loose and recover the fumble.

On second-and-two from the New England 33-yard line, Brady took the shotgun snap and surveyed the field, but was stripped of the ball by a fellow University of Michigan alum, Brandon Graham. Rookie defensive end Derek Barnett recovered the ball at the New England 31 and set up a late field goal, which extended the lead to eight points with 1:05 to play.